Monday, December 31, 2007

Numbering our days

Someone might be curious about the "Super 80" part of the name of our blog. Well, we jokingly
refer to the apartment building here by that name for an obvious reason -- quite a few of us are
nearing or "super" i.e., above 80 years of age! Of course, any resemblance to a motel chain is purely co-incidental. Some scholars believe that Psalm 90 was written by Moses and not only does it remind us that the LORD is eternal and unchanging, but that WE are mortal and fast fading: "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years (that's 80, folks!), yet is their strength labour and sorrow (so glad we have an elevator in the building); for it is soon cut off, and we fly away." (v. 10) How do we respond to this reality? v. 12 makes it clear: "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our
hearts unto WISDOM!" My concordance says that the Hebrew word "number" means "to weigh out, to enumerate, etc." I read about one senior who never told his age in years, but in days and that wouldn't be a bad idea. But it seems to me the best meaning is "to weigh out" our
days by investing them in witness and service for Christ; i.e., making our days count for eternity, as the Psalmist concludes in v. 17: "And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon
us; and establish Thou the work of our hands upon us..." This New Year's Eve we wish you all
a BLESSED NEW YEAR, knowing that for the Christian, "the future is just as bright as the promises of God!"

3 comments:

James and Christen said...

Hey Papaw,
That is a great challenge! I feel like I've wasted so many of my days. This year I want to be more purposeful in what I do and say. Please pray for me in that regard. I think we're really close to Christ's coming. I want to be caught not just busy, but doing and being what He would have me to do and be.

James

philmruth said...

Hey,Papaw & Mamaw,your blog was and is a blessing and challenge to our hearts. You and Mamaw are trully being a Titus 2 man and woman of God. Keep up the good work knowing that "our labour is not in vain in the Lord."(ICor.15:58)

We are praying that you will both have a blessed and fruitful New Year walking in the wisdom of the Lord. We ask you to pray the same for us. Our Love & Prayers, Phil & Ruth

James and Christen said...

So glad you have a blog where you can share your wisdom regularly with the rest of us!

It will be so much fun to stay in closer touch through this new avenue of technology. I think almost all of my family has a blog now. I just love it!

Christen